Thursday, January 2, 2014

UFC Singapore: David Galera dreams of becoming ‘a great Filipino fighter’ like Pacquiao

Philippine mixed martial marts (MMA) will be represented when the UFC makes its first visit to South East Asia as Team Lakay’s Dave “The Scarecrow” Galera faces hometown bet Rostyon Wee of Singapore on January 4 at the Marina Bay Sands.


Galera and Wee are both undefeated fighters who will be performing on the biggest stage of their careers when the UFC visits Singapore. The Filipino is undefeated in five fights, winning three by submission and two by technical knockouts. Impact MMA’s Wee on the other hand won both his fights via submission.


“I’ll be representing the Philippines as the first full-blooded Filipino to be fighting in UFC so it’s a pleasure for me,” Galera said in an interview with Justin Ong of Yahoo Singapore. Asked about why he was selected over his more experienced Team Lakay mates, Galera explained that guys such as Kevin Belingon and Eduard Folayang all have exclusive contract with ONE FC. “If it wasn’t me, (the UFC would) probably sign those guys. But it’s a blessing as well that they’re my training partners and I learn from them.”


Galera, a Brazilian jiu jitsu blue belt under Charles Gracie, will be the first full-blooded Filipino fighter in the UFC. Born in the United States, Galera tried out MMA as a means to be physically fit. “I never thought I’d be fighting. (In the beginning) it was just for fitness,” he said. “I’ve been fighting for a year and a half. This is my job I have to deal with it to provide shelter for my family.”


The Filipino is physically the superior fighter. He also has more experience but he isn’t underestimating his opponent because he knows that what’s at stake is much bigger than him.


“I don’t really know the person. I train to fight. I’ve been hearing (that he’s a) really impressive fighter, nothing bad to say. I don’t take this really personally. It’s just a sport,” Galera said. “(If I win) it would open doors for a lot of Filipino fighters,” Galera said. Apart from personal glory, he also wants to be the guy who will pave the way for other Filipino MMA fighters. “I want to be remembered as a great Filipino fighter like (Manny) Pacquiao.”


UFC Fight Night 34 will feature ten bouts with Galera versus Wee as the curtain raiser. The main event is a welterweight battle between Belgium’s Tarec Saffiedine and Korea’s Hyun Gyu Lim.




UFC Singapore: David Galera dreams of becoming ‘a great Filipino fighter’ like Pacquiao

0 comments:

Post a Comment