Thursday, January 23, 2014

British banker receives death threats for anti-Singapore diatribe

A British banker has been forced to apologise to the people of Singapore after he complained he would have to “wash the stench of public transport” off himself during a period of separation from normal mode of transport – his Porsche.


Anton Casey, who lives as an expat in the city-state with his wife – a former Miss Singapore – also mocked the “poor people” he shared public transport with and made derogatory comments about a taxi driving in a series of posts online.


In one post, he published a picture of his young son using Singaporean public transport, along with the caption: “Daddy, where is your car and who are all these poor people?”


He also posted a picture of his son sitting inside a silver Porsche and added: “Ahhhhhhhhh, reunited with my baby. Normal service can resume, once I have washed the stench of public transport off me FFS!”


In another, he published a picture of a Singaporean taxi driver and wrote: “And today’s cabbie retard award goes to … Mr Arm Warmers, stripy mittens towel on the lap man. After all, it’s only 37C outside today!”


Casey, 39, said he had received death threats and faces disciplinary action from his employers, the wealth management firm Crossinvest. In a statement released by his PR firm, he said: “I would like to extend a sincere apology to the people of Singapore.


“I have the highest respect and regard for Singapore and the good people of Singapore; this is my home.” Casey is a permanent resident of the city state. “I wish for nothing more than to be forgiven for my poor judgment and given a second chance to rebuild the trust people have had in me as a resident of this wonderful country.”


A video appeared online in which Casey said: “I don’t mean to offend anyone. Don’t be angry at me. Be angry with your mum and dad for raising you a wuss.” In his statement, he said: “It must be made extremely clear that a YouTube video of me, with my son in the background, was not posted in response to any recent events. This video was made weeks prior and has been misused to portray me as unrepentant.”


Casey’s boss, Christophe Audergon, said the comments were “in poor taste”. In a statement, he said: “Crossinvest has clear policies regarding the codes of conduct expected of its employees. That code of conduct extends to social media. We are currently investigating the comments made by our employee and will take appropriate action once we are in possession of all the facts.”



British banker receives death threats for anti-Singapore diatribe

0 comments:

Post a Comment